Imagine yourself in one of these situations; You are on the road, traffic jam and you badly need to connect to the Internet on your laptop… You are at home; there’s a power cut and you need an Internet Connection on your laptop but your router does not have backup battery.. How on Earth can you connect to the Internet ?? There exist Mobile Internet USB dongle, but the rains pouring outside, and you do not have a new SIM card to insert in the dongle. BUT !! You have a smartphone ! that already has a data plan or that can connect to the Internet and that very smartphone has a Wi-Fi antenna. Can you browse the Internet using your mobile phone as access point ?? Read on 😉
This technique is known as tethering. Your mobile phone connects to the Internet through the 3G/data network and creates an access point that bridges the Internet connection and broadcasts it through Wi-Fi.
Only the smartphone needs to be setup and the other devices will simply have to connect to the broadcasted Wi-Fi network.
- Make sure your smartphone has Wi-Fi and can connect to the Internet using mobile data connection.
- Download the tether software (as per the list at the end of the post) and install it on your smartphone.
- Configure the software. – Simple as ABC, simply give the network a name and a security key 🙂
- ‘Deploy’ network. Allow the software to connect to the Internet.
There you go !! 🙂
You can now browse the Internet from any Wi-Fi device.
- Make sure you have enough credit.
- Make sure your data plan is up and running.
- Make sure you have enough data left in your mobile data account.
- Do not use it to browse Youtube or download large files. Remember , data plans are limited. Your credit’s running.
- Data charges apply
- Wi-fi uses battery power more that during normal usage